Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Shin Splints after TKR
    TLWeb posted:
    I'm a 55 yr. old male, I had TKR of Rt. Knee 8 mon. ago, I have had a great recovery, lots of hiking mod. trails 4-6 miles. I have been plagued with shin splints of outer left leg. I have tried shin splint prevention stretches and excercises and they reduced the pain greatly while walking. This week I began a light jogging program on the treadmill (started at .3 mile then increased to .4 today) The shin splints were back with a vengence. Any advise?

georgia888 responded:
    I'm no medical expert but it almost sounds like you're overdoing it. Has your doctor approved of all this exercise?

georgia

TLWeb replied to georgia888's response:
    Yes, I could do more the Dr. & PT both have said I am way ahead of schedule.

kathyswiming11 responded:
    I have the same problem, I had biltateral TKR and is very aactive. Ny ortho guys says I can do anything. I have been walking about 5 miles a day at 4.0. I gets the shin splints also. Sometimes when I'm in yoga class and on my knees I get shin pain. The area is very padded then I'm on my knees. It is so nice to hear about someone else that is active with new knees. I did 1/2 a marathon last fall with them.

Helpful Tips

Tips on options for hip replacementsExpert
    In today's competitive markets, many companies and surgeons are advocating and pushing their own prosthesis, when it comes to hip ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 42 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center