Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Shin Splints after TKR
    TLWeb posted:
    I'm a 55 yr. old male, I had TKR of Rt. Knee 8 mon. ago, I have had a great recovery, lots of hiking mod. trails 4-6 miles. I have been plagued with shin splints of outer left leg. I have tried shin splint prevention stretches and excercises and they reduced the pain greatly while walking. This week I began a light jogging program on the treadmill (started at .3 mile then increased to .4 today) The shin splints were back with a vengence. Any advise?
    georgia888 responded:
    I'm no medical expert but it almost sounds like you're overdoing it. Has your doctor approved of all this exercise?

    TLWeb replied to georgia888's response:
    Yes, I could do more the Dr. & PT both have said I am way ahead of schedule.
    kathyswiming11 responded:
    I have the same problem, I had biltateral TKR and is very aactive. Ny ortho guys says I can do anything. I have been walking about 5 miles a day at 4.0. I gets the shin splints also. Sometimes when I'm in yoga class and on my knees I get shin pain. The area is very padded then I'm on my knees. It is so nice to hear about someone else that is active with new knees. I did 1/2 a marathon last fall with them.

    Helpful Tips

    Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
    For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    59 of 76 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center