Skip to content
Shin Splints after TKR
TLWeb posted:
I'm a 55 yr. old male, I had TKR of Rt. Knee 8 mon. ago, I have had a great recovery, lots of hiking mod. trails 4-6 miles. I have been plagued with shin splints of outer left leg. I have tried shin splint prevention stretches and excercises and they reduced the pain greatly while walking. This week I began a light jogging program on the treadmill (started at .3 mile then increased to .4 today) The shin splints were back with a vengence. Any advise?

georgia888 responded:
I'm no medical expert but it almost sounds like you're overdoing it. Has your doctor approved of all this exercise?

georgia

TLWeb replied to georgia888's response:
Yes, I could do more the Dr. & PT both have said I am way ahead of schedule.

kathyswiming11 responded:
I have the same problem, I had biltateral TKR and is very aactive. Ny ortho guys says I can do anything. I have been walking about 5 miles a day at 4.0. I gets the shin splints also. Sometimes when I'm in yoga class and on my knees I get shin pain. The area is very padded then I'm on my knees. It is so nice to hear about someone else that is active with new knees. I did 1/2 a marathon last fall with them.

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center