Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Burning pain for 3 years after TKR ??
DebRitt posted:
My Mom, 76 isn't computer savy and wants me to ask if there could be something more going on...Mom has just went through her 2nd TKR on the same knee - 3 years after the 1st. All kinds of issues over the 3 years and 4 other surgeries to try to fix the problems. But the burning pain is the worst as far as she can tell. The new knee feels "good" and right. It's not loose or "under pressure" and that's good. She now has cellulitis and also an internal infection with a persistent fever of just over a 100. She is staying in rehab for PT and is receiving IV antibiotics 2x a day. Does she have any hope of getting rid of the burning pain in and around the knee itself? Could the bone itself be infected?

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

This sounds like an infection. Please seek a second opinion if you are worries or let your primary surgeon know.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

DebRitt replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
Thank you, Dr. Raj - Mom stayed on IV antibiotics for 3 weeks and was released from the PT home with oral antibiotics for another 2 weeks. The TKR doctor agreed that infection is probably the #1 culprit.

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center