Skip to content
40 yrs old and possibility of knee replacement
waltslove1 posted:
Hello. I just found out from my orthopedist that I may possibly be having knee replacement surgery. I injured my knee way back in 1988, tearing all the ligaments and meniscus and dislocating my knee. I had surgery and therapy. Over the years my knee has developed severe osteoarthritis and it is increasing difficult to do steps, climb out of the tub, etc. Today he gave me a cortizone shot to see if I can get any relief. He is limited in what he can prescribe for pain as I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. He also prescribed a hinged brace to help support my knee. He is trying these and hopefully surgery can be put off for awhile. I'm 40 years old and he said my xrays from today showed that my knee is in the shape of an approximately 80 to 90 year old person! I cried. I don't want to have surgery because I have so much going on with starting back to college, family, etc. Anyone else had their knee replaced young?

_swank_ responded:
Putting an age on a knee is meaningless. My mother literally has the knees of an 87-year-old and she does not have arthritis. It really means nothing and I don't know why doctors do it.

That being said. Get more opinions. After that you may just have to live with reality. Lots of people get their knees replaced young. New technology has created prosthetic knees that are supposed to last 30 years. I was 49 when I had a partial replacement and 52 when I had a TKR. I dealt with a bad knee most of my life. It was a relief to be nearly pain free. I had just started college for the second time when I had the TKR. I did it during a break and didn't miss any school.

MBurgess300 replied to _swank_'s response:
I am in the same boat. 40 years old - horrible Left knee - surgery twice - two different knee braces and still tons of pain. Dr. says I'm too young for a knee replacement. What company is making the prosthetic knees do you know?

BonniMaxson replied to MBurgess300's response:
I will ask for this information on my next visit and post it for you. The Dr. is in San Francisco and came highly reccomended by other Dr's. To be honest after reading all the truthful firsthand blogs last night, I am having second thoughts. I may very well wait untill my everyday pain level is much higher. I do not want to take the chance that it may take years to be back to where I am today. I may just have to slow down a little bit instead. I am also sure that loosing 10 lbs would help.

waltslove1 replied to _swank_'s response:
I had one other opinion about a year ago from my regular orthopedist. But due to insurance reasons he referred me to this doctor. My previous doctor said the same thing. Everyone I talk to seems to really stress the "age" thing. If the knee is bad then it's bad whether you are 40 or 80.
I bet it was a relief to be virtually pain free. How was your recovery with the surgeries? And congrats on going back to college for the second time. This is actually my first!

waltslove1 replied to MBurgess300's response:
What is it with us 40yr olds and our left knees? Seems with you too the docs say the age thing.

waltslove1 replied to BonniMaxson's response:
Losing weight may very help. I had gastric bypass and I've lost 150lbs and my weight is stabilized right around 170 now. My everyday pain is about a 6. With at least one or two days a week jumping up to between 8 and 10. How long have you had knee problems BonnMaxson?

MBurgess300 replied to waltslove1's response:
Ever since I first went to the Orth about my knee like 7 years ago I've heard how bad it is and how "old" it is. It's really hard. I am very active. I work at a very physical job and I also am a sports official and a bowler. I often wonder about my quality of life and what things will be like. I had another scope done on my left knee 2 weeks ago with the first scope being done 4 years ago. Seems like I may have surgery every 4 years to keep doing the things I want??? LOL.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center