Skip to content
total knee replacement post op 4 days
boneonbone posted:
bowel movement today after 3.5 days. Yeeha !! ROM not's so good today at home as in hospital, but working on it. I am wondering if anyone else has had the weird feeling that their new knee leg feels taller and longer than before? A bit hard to get accustomed to. Doc says it's normal because I had lost height in that leg due to my condition- makes sense. I'm already short so maybe I've gained my whole 1/2" height back, hah!
Also, I have stopped the heavy meds (oxycodone) because of the very unfun condition it put me in. I'm toughing it out with high dose ibuprofen only.

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello, I had a TKR a month ago. Are you going to therapy? I honestly don't see how you'll make it just on ibuprofen. This is the most painful thing I've ever gone through. When I go to therapy and they start bending that knee....well, let's just say even the oxy doesn't take that pain away!

You should not feel like you need to "tough it out," b/c this is huge major surgery, known as one of the most painful ones. There are other pain meds out there....ask your doctor to let you try something else.

I've been having ROM problems, too, and all I can say is to keep at it everyday, and it will get better. I go 5 days a week, and I honestly wouldn't be able to do it without the pain meds.

Good luck, and keep in touch. This is not for the faint of heart, I tell you. I've never been through anything this challenging and difficult in my life.

Take care.....Elizabeth

boneonbone replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Thanks for your reply Elizabeth. This is the 3rd major surgery on the same knee, so I'm a veteran of pain. I told the surgeon of the horrors and pain of the second knee surgery on this same knee in 1977, a procedure developed by a "famous" ortho surgeon that was a total flop/bust and was discontinued not too long after it was developed. You want to talk about tortures of the dark ages-this was it. My knee surgeon knew all about this failed procedure and how to deal with it, which is why I chose him. He assured me that this TKR would not be anything like the former one, and so far at day 5, he is totally correct. The pain, other than the flexion/bending to 105 degrees where most of the pain comes from even after P/T is so tolerable that I don't even really have to "tough" it out. Anything can change of course, but if the pain levels stay where they are, I can survive on the high doses of ibuprofen.
Good luck to you and I would like to know further how you're doing. B.o.B

1wareaglefan replied to boneonbone's response:
Thanks for your concern, B.O.B. I'll be at 6 weeks tomorrow, and my flex on Friday was 108....yea! So I progressed 10 degrees in a week.

I'll be going to the surgeon on Friday, and he wants me at 120 by then. He's got me on the schedule for a manipulation. I'm hoping to be at or close to 120 by this Friday. But either way, I'm telling him I'm not doing the procedure. I've read so many accounts where people continued to improve after they quit therapy and did exercising on their own.

This doctor has made this a miserable procedure for me b/c of the pressure he's put on me, which in turn has made the PT's put more pressure on me. They told me the other doctors in that group don't do that to their patients. Lucky me I picked a "winner!"

I'll keep you informed.

Take care....Elizabeth

ydididothis12 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
I am with you Elizabeth. I had my tkr on 3/6/12. I had all the same as everyone else with the pain and swelling and the low range of motion. I went to the doctor for my 10 week check up on 5/18 and he said he had me scheduled for the manipulation on the following Friday because I was only at 90 degrees. I refused it because I had recently started pool therapy and could feel the difference in my leg. My doc was so upset I refused he stopped my pt and would not refill my anti inflammitory and muscle relaxers because he said I wanted to do it on my own then go ahead.
I continued to go to the gym and do my same therapy workout but in the pool by myself or with my daughter. His nurse called and asked me to come in so doc can see my progression or regression for the 3 weeks I had no pt. He was so surprised that on my own I am now at 104 that he reinstated my pt to get the extra out of the pool.
Had my 1st pt yesterday and my therapist said she is very surprised at how well I walk and bend because most patients do regress.

If you are determined to do it and are very sure you do not want to go under the anthesethia again you will make it to a great recover. I will root for you and hope you make the recovery you are looking for.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center