Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
unhappy with replacement
oldecars posted:
Where to start? Had left tkr 3/14/12. Knee is swelling a lot and drives me nuts and keeps me awake at night if I use it. Tuesday I walked 1 mile and it swelled up and kept me awake most of night even tho I took a hydrocodone and a sleep pill. I went thru therapy fine and was dismissed on 5/09/12 with 140 degree ROM but it would still swell If I tried to exercise it very much. Also, thigh muscle is killing me all of the time. I had to go back into hospital 1 week after surgery date for intensive pain for 10 days. They determined I had no infection or blood clot during that time. Also x-ray showed no loosening. I didn't die so they sent me home to get better. Only answer I get is it can take up to a year to heal. I can't live like this for a year. I had a totalleft shoulder replaced on 04/08 and rotator cuff repair of right shoulder last 03/11 and rehabed it myself. I got along fine with these so I don't think I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. I'm seeing surgeon Tuesday and hope to get a MRI to see what's going on. I hate to but I think I'll walk a couple of miles Monday and Tuesday morning before I see him. Sorry for length of post.

_swank_ responded:
Hate to tell you but it does take up to a year to heal. I'm not sure what you expected going in but 3 months is not near enough time to be back to normal. You're going to have to deal with it if they don't find anything wrong. Try a differently exercise like swimming or biking.

oldecars replied to _swank_'s response:
Before surgery I walked 5 to 6 miles a day, 5 days a week to get this thing in some kind of shape. I did this for 2 months along with exercise machines. This was supposed to help recovery. I'm 5'9 9" weigh 170 and have always played a lot of sports. I just feel like I should not be having high levels of pain this far out. I'm anxious about tomorrow. Thanks for reply.

1wareaglefan replied to oldecars's response:
Hi, I was wondering how your doctor appt. went. I'm 5 weeks out, and my surgeon is wanting to start cutting back on my pain meds. I don't understand it! They act surprised that I'm still having this much pain. Therapy is brutal.

oldecars replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
After a very thorough examination my surgeon said everything is correct in the knee. He did explain that I need to slow down and lower my expections somewhat. As far as pain he prescribed new script for oxycodin and said to take the at night for pain. I'm 12 weeks out now and if I do much the pain comes up. I walked 2 miles today and it's 3:30AM here in Missouri and I'm having trouble sleeping tonite. I did think the knee felt better today. I'm going to try to walk at least 2 miles daily 5 days a week. Good luck with your rehab.

oldecars replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
One other thing, your PT should not be brutal. Tell whoever is doing it you do not want to be hurt. Uncomfortable is one thing but unbearable is something else. Take a pain pill about 1 hour before PT. Good luck.

KevinHilton replied to oldecars's response:
You walked 5-6 miles a day 5 days a week prior to your replacement? Why did you need to get your knee replaced?

oldecars replied to KevinHilton's response:
My knee was bone on bone and was swelling and killing me. I bit the bullet and did all that exercise b4 surgery to get it in shape. A lot of good it did me. I lived on over the counter pain pills the last few years and really hope to get past all that and not have any pain anymore. It's been over 5 years.

JudithKi responded:
Hi, I had my knee done 11 months ago and I am not happy, even though I had severe vulgus deformity caused by osteoarthritis which meant my knees touch and my feet were about 4 feet apart and yes it has fixed that in one leg but my knee clunks very loudly when I walk and it is very numb still and has a big lump on the outside and it has an attached area on the knee cap that pulls and it feels like it swells and I cant walk very far (my other knee needs replacing) I am too scared to get the other knee done as I have had the hip on that side replaced...I can relate to that feeling it didn't work very well

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

You definately need to be seen by a second joint replacement surgeon. This course does not sound normal.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center