Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Avascular Necrosis
    willhen posted:
    I have been told that I have asvascular Necrosis in my right hip and the ball there is worn out. If blood does not flow, how long does that take to do real damage to my leg, as the local hospital takes a very long time to get ok'd for hip replacement surgery. Service at the local hospital is very slow, Have been trying for 8 months to get service, but no luck yet. Any other ways to cure this problem or at least prevent it from becoming worse. Also, how can a person get the blood flowing in their leg again? I am 67 years old and played racquet sports for many years.
    _swank_ responded:
    You already have real damage in your leg. Usually it's the surgeon that handles getting you scheduled for surgery. You shouldn't have to deal with the hospital yourself. If that's the case then how about trying another hospital? Look for one that does a lot of joint replacements as their staff will be the best.

    Helpful Tips

    Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
    For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    59 of 76 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center