Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
6 mo post bilateral TKR stiffness and instability in left knee.
fritzikay posted:
6 months after bilateral TKR, I still have stiffness and instability. I have been to therapy for almost this whole time. Now I am going to a therapy pool and doing water therapy and then walking forwards, backwards and side to side, changing directions frequently. At one point in my therapy, after doing walking lunges to try and activate my quads on the left knee, I had major back pain. I saw another doctor who specialized in backs and also did knee replacements. He did some physical tests on my knee, such as lifting the lower leg while sitting on edge of table. I have extensor lag and he thought maybe I had a torn tendon. I have had neuromuscular stimulation several times at two therapy places to try and activate my quads on the left leg, with no improvement. My original knee doc says since I can push his hand away with my lower leg, I don't have a torn tendon. What else could be the problem? He just says as soon as I get the quads as strong on the left leg as the right leg, I will no longer have these problems. I am trying again to strengthen my quad, but my back is starting to hurt again. I think I am using my back to lift my left leg. What other options do I have at this point?

Take the Poll

What options do I have for getting my left knee to move with more stability and less stiffness?
  • second opinion?
  • tendon repair?
vote
View Poll Results

KevinHilton responded:
Your problem is very complex, however I wouldn't classify it as instability. I'd get a second opinion in your case and make sure to bring all your medical records and xrays to the second opinion. From what you are describing, its very difficult to recommend any other opinion based on the limited information you presented.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

Get an extra opinion from a knee surgeon. An MRI or ultrasound may help diagnosis your issue. If it is not torn, then continue to work on your quads strengthening.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

fritzikay replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
I have now been doing therapy for 9 months and still have pain, swelling and stiffness in my left knee. I have tried to get an appointment for a second opinion with no luck. The doctors will not see me until I have been out for one year. Going downhill is very challenging for me since I feel like I'm falling and have to stop. I used to be a fast walker and hiker and now have a hard time keeping up with anyone!
My therapist asked me to get x-rays, and after looking at them feels there is something wrong. The right knee looks okay with space between the metal parts. The left looks like there is no space between and on the bent knee x-ray looks like the parts are intertwined instead of barely touching like the right knee. I am doing 100 leg lifts everyday, but can't straighten my left knee and have to help lift the left leg for the first leg lift. I NEED HELP !!!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to fritzikay's response:
Hi Fritzikay and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to start a new discussion of your own to share your situation and ask your questions.

To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button on the upper right and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Post.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center