Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how long on pain meds after TKR
1wareaglefan posted:
Hello, I'm 5 weeks out from my TKR. I'm still having to take pain meds every 4-5 hours. I'm just wondering if this is common. I also have fibromyalgia, which I believe may make this more painful.

wilomena responded:
I am 6-weeks post-op and I still take ghem. A lower dose but definitely to help me sleep and after physicsl therapy. Ice helps too

JudithKi responded:
I had a knee done 11 months ago and also have fibro I found it has all flared up and I am on pain meds Tramadol SR. It has been really hard as I had a hip done 18 months ago and I need the other knee done (but won't let any one near me till it is absolutly essential) My knee is not what I would call a great sucess....5 weeks ins't enough time to know how you will be I am just starting to feel I am walking better now. Good luck and best wishes with it all

1wareaglefan replied to JudithKi's response:
Thank you both for your replies. Judith, just wondering if your doctor understood that you might have more pain with your knee due to fibro. My doctor "cut me no slack," and wanted me at 120 by 3 weeks!

I got to 90 by then, and I'm trying to get close to 120 by this Friday, so he'll quit pressuring me. He's trying to wean me off meds, so I'm going to my GP, who controls my fibro pain. I was already taking norco for that, even before the knee operation.

This has been rough, and what's made it worse is the uncaring surgeon who acts like everyone should progress exactly the same. Did you find that your knee continued to progress even after therapy?

Thanks! Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center