Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Total Hip Replacememt Surgery- Anterior vs Lateral-Posterior Procedure,
An_245866 posted:
I am contemplating Total Hip Replacememt Surgery in the near future. I am hearing that an Anterior approah is nuch better than Lateral-Posterior Procedure, I hear an anterior approach has less post-op restrictions and has a much faster and easier healing process. Can anyone give me their thoughtd on which to use???

KevinHilton responded:
I'm going to give you a biased opinion because I converted to the anterior approach for my patients 4 years ago -- so take this with a grain of salt. There are definitely not any post-operative restrictions with the anterior approach. I think the recovery is faster, but not markedly -- meaning possibly 3-4 weeks faster. The downsides are more swelling of thigh and leg, and a slight numb sensation over and just beyond the incision for about 3-6 months. I've had a few people complain about this -- most do not. All except one resolved in 3-6 months. As a comparison, the decreased sensation would be comparable to the incision after a total knee -- however rarely if at all do I have anyone complain about this pain either. The major upsides beyond recovery and pain advantages for the patient, are that the hip parts are placed with use of flouroscopy -- meaning they are put in more precisely than either lateral or posterior. The surgeon also is able to better control the lengths of legs since they can be measured clinically in the OR and via Xray.

Despite my opinion, you really want to go to a good surgeon that does good work. Finding out who does good work may be difficult so its very useful to ask around. If a good surgeon operates on you, its very likely you will have a great outcome independent of any type of approach (ant,post,lat) that could be used.

Helpful Tips

duct leakage test
This could be everybody's great solution for carrying ladders inside house and risking own life from falling, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center