Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
back pain following Hip replacement
Spunkyone57 posted:
I had a total hip replacment two years ago and have not been normal since. I have been on pain meds since and have had severe low back pain that started two weeks after surgery. I have been so miserable with this, the back pain is getting worse to the point, it feels like I have a bulging water balloon in my low back! Any ideas would be great.

JudithKi responded:
Did you have a spinal??, I had a hip replacment 18 months ago and it is really great but after my knee replacment 10 months ago I feel like my coxic bone is broken like I cant sit on it and my lower back feels swollen like a lumpy area either side of my spine really hurts to the point I have to lay on the bed most of the day and have to take pain meds every day in big doses, i do have fibromyalgia as well but it seems all is worse. I use a hot water bottle and rub heat rub to try to ease the pain. I had to give up work....sorry to hear you are in pain from it

georgia888 replied to JudithKi's response:
Hi again JudithKi,
Is it feasible for you to use a gym with a warm therapeutic pool? I find this therapy to be very helpful for both the Fibro & the OA.

Do check with your doctor about your back symptoms. Sometimes with Fibro we write everything off as just another symptom but this should be looked into.

Keep us posted.

georgia

georgia888 responded:
Have you talked to your doctor about this? Were you aware of any arthritis, stenosis, etc. in your spine?

Please share this with your doctor. He/she may order an x-ray or MRI to see just what's going on there.

Good luck, Spunkyone.

georgia

JudithKi replied to georgia888's response:
Hi, it's nice to have people to share as it's hard to understand unless you have had it yourself. I have told the Dr and he has tried many pain meds Tramadol being the best but I am sure it is arthritis as the last x-ray I had boney spurs on all the lower bones and I think the tissue and Muscles cramp around the injurys (my theory) thankyou Georgia.... Spunky one apart from that did your hip go well ...mine is perfect

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center