Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Future TKR
marilynch posted:
I will be honest, reading the post on here scares me crazy. With a high pain threshold, I think that part is manageable for me. It is knowing that once done there is no going back. Do not want to live the rest of my life with limited mobility and pain. I am at the point where I will have no choice soon. I am reading your suggestions, tips and opinions carefully. I believe mental preparation is as important as physical. I am fortunate I have a wonderful husband who can help me. Blessing to you all!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Marilynch and welcome here,

It sounds like a wise idea... preparing yourself mentally, starting with reading here.

There are some really positive stories here too, and do keep in mind that most people who are pleased with their outcomes aren't necessarily posting on a message board so you're bound to see more negatives than positives.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

_swank_ responded:
I agree with Caprice, the negative posts may outweigh the positive on a message board but not in the real world. The majority of people get through the surgery and go off and live their lives. Spend more time researching your surgeon.

One thing you need to prepare for is the fact that this is a long haul. I'm amazed at the amount of posts where people are freaked out because they're not better in a week or month. It takes time and sometimes you will take one step forward and two steps back. Just keep moving forward. Having great support at home means you're already ahead of the game.

You also have to keep in mind that if you don't have the surgery your current life is all you'll ever get. Your knee will have no chance of ever feeling better.

misschoochoo replied to _swank_'s response:
Swank, thank you for the positive feedback, and the hope you've given me. I was just told by my surgeon that both my knees have severe degenerative arthritis, and that I could have steroid injections for the pain, but it would only last for about 3 months, then I'd have to get more injections -- meanwhile the knees don't heal, they just continue to get worse. I'm 65 now and had a meniscus cartilage removed from my left knee when I was in high school. The arthritis is probably from that. Knowing that there are a lot more people NOT having big problems with knee replacement surgery, but that they're not posting on here, helps me to be confident for the future.

I had herniated disks in my back that used to cause extreme pain and caused me to quit a full-time teaching job 7 years ago. But, I followed the physical therapist's exercises religiously, and kept my back straight when doing household chores, and the surgeon reports that they have healed. So, I know if I follow all the exercises and doctor's orders, I'll have a good chance of doing things I haven't been able to do for years, like just tending my flowers and mowing the lawn.

kjb49 responded:
I just had mine done 4 weeks ago. It is a mind thing. The pain and therapy is not for wimps. I had no choice in the matter after years of arthroscopic surgery, injects then just dragging it around. I am ahead of schedule on recovering but its been tough. I arranged my bedroom and house where everything was at easy access. Getting organized is KEY and having a husband/friend who is a good coach is necessary. I still have mixed emotions about all of this. I am a busy gal and this is teaching me lots of patience. You do have to be prepared to go into this with a very positive attitude. I will let you know in 6 months if I am glad i did it LOL

nawrocks replied to kjb49's response:
I had my tkr done 3 weeks ago and the pain of the therapy to straighten the leg out is horrible! I can't seem to find a way to cope with that pain, and I dread every time, I have to go to therapy (3x a week) all the other exercises I can do and handle, but that one; seems impossible for me.

arbob5 replied to nawrocks's response:
Please be patient...it will get easier, I promise you. It may take longer than you would have thought, but it will happen. What does your therapist say? Listen to what he/she says...they are professionals and they know what they're doing.

Remember, it may seem impossible, but it isn't. Everyone is different..some can straighten out the leg sooner than others, but you will be able to do it. Keep trying, and it will happen.

Think positive (I know...easier said than done), but I've been there....two hip replacements and one knee....so I have some "inside" info. You can do this!

Helpful Tips

Knee op comfort
I have. 2. Tkr. And. I wade in The. Pool More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center