Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Total Hip Replacement 5 yrs later - noises and soreness
chezrebecca posted:
I'm a 24 yr old woman coming up on the 5th anniversary of my total hip replacement due to PVNS in my left hip. Due to being female and young, my hip is a combination of ceramic and titanium. I've noticed for years now that when I lift my leg (like in the motion of going up the stairs) that my hip makes a whooshing sound, kind of like air being pushed through a piston. I've never thought much of it, but wondering if others have experienced similar sounds/is fairly normal.

I've also been dealing with some soreness lately that has been worrisome. It's been very humid in my region that last few days, but I'm not sure if there is any truth in the old humidity and joints thing.

Any feedback is welcome!

georgia888 responded:
Hi chezrebecca,
I can't speak from experience but have heard from others that the ceramic implants can produce sounds. It may be a good idea to check with your doctor to rule out any problems.

It is no myth that the humidity is not very friendly to an arthritic joint. However, I don't know what affect it may have on an implant, if any. If anything, it would be the surrounding area that may be affected by this. Another item you should discuss with your doctor.

Best of luck to you.

georgia

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center