Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Preparing for bilateral TKR
boneyfriend posted:
I had my left knee replaced in April 2006. It didn't work. Still hurts like the dickens. I am scheduled to have my right knee replaced on August 6, 2012. I have just found out that if you have had an unsucessful TKR that it is possible to have it done over. I have changed doctors for the 2nd surgery. Today I called my surgeon's office to see if I could have both knees done on August 6. I wont find out until next week if that is possible. I do hope I can. What I would like to know is just how bad is it to have both knees done at the same time? Can you walk out of the hospital? I guess you can't because they wont let you but can you hobble around once you get home? I can't remember the details of my previous knee replacement. Also, do you need a bedside potty when you have them both done at the same time? I remember the nuisance of not being able to get my repaired knee wet in the shower before. That is the only bad thing I remember except the pain of doing the exercises.
My new doctor will not comment on why my previous left TKR hurts me so badly. I have always somehow blamed myself though I don't know what I did wrong.
Glad I found this site. Thanking you in advance for any responses and I look forward to staying in touch with this site.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Hello,

It is not a good idea to have both knees done at the same time especially a revision. You will significanly increase your complication rate especially wih a present complication. You need a higher stool to sit on since you are not able to sit at an initally low position.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

boneyfriend replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
Thank you Doctor. I will give up the idea.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center