Skip to content
knee replacement
An_246311 posted:
I had a knee replacement Jan 3rd, everything was going good till about 1 1/2 months ago. My knee is swollen and my ankle and I get this strange rash that comes and goes on my ankle. Also, my leg will cave in at some spots and then go away. I was tested for a blood clot 3 weeks ago and it was fine. Any suggestions or has anyone experienced this. I know it sounds crazy but its driving me nuts. Thanks

csmmt24 responded:
Hello, my bilateral replacement was on January 11th. To this day I still have pain, but am keeping positive with my therapy. I have had a slight cave in in some spots but like yours mine does go away. No rash or swollen ankles, although I continue to have swelling knees all the time. As we know ice is our best friend.

YPease responded:
Wow! And I thought it was just me. It seems this maybe a common issue. Well, maybe not the rash! However, I still get swelling from my knee to my ankle. Mine is a bit of edema. So I have tried surgical stockings ( buy them on Amazon much cheaper there). I have also tried elevation. I have been to the doctor and he says mine is common and not to worry. It is easy for him to say! I have my TKR on 11/7/12 so maybe this is normal? I too have heard the 1 year healing mantra from my Doc as well. So, I hope that eventually this will end for me as well . I am not a patient person....I want what I want now! There I lies my problem.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center