Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Possible Psoas impingement post anterior total hip replacement?
    doublehippy posted:
    I had my second hip replaced 6 years ago with the direct anterior approach. Approximately 2 years post-op, I started experiencing pain in the groin and much so, that I ended up having an aspiration and bone scan to rule out infection or loosening. My surgeon suggested it "could" be a muscle and wrote me a script for PT. That was 2 years ago and I still have the pain. It doesn't hurt to bear weight, climb steps, get up from a sitting position. However, the pain will wake me in the middle of the night when I try to extend my leg from a bent position....just like it did prior to the replacement. Certain flexion hurts...especially flexing the hip/leg back...not forward. It's also been suggested that the pain could be referred from my back (stenosis, DDD), but I've always felt that something was being "pinched" in there. It most definately feels like a muscle/ligament/tendon pain. What sort of diagnostic test would show an impingement? I understand that an x-ray guided injection into the psoas could provide relief.....but, obviously, need to have a diagnosis first. My OS assures me that my x-rays look fine and, as mentioned, we've ruled out loosening and infection. Should he be the one I see re: checking the psoas? if not, what sort of specialist? Thanks so much for any input!
    KevinHilton responded:
    In some cases an Ultrasound or CT scan can be done to provide greater evidence of this problem, however in many cases the diagnosis is confirmed after a trial injection of the psoas tendon sheath using flouroscopy or ultrasound as you have alluded to. Usually an orthopaedic surgeon is responsible for the evaluation of this disorder, however he/she may have a radiologist do the actual injection if it is done under flouroscopy depending on hospital policy.

    Helpful Tips

    What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
    Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    28 of 38 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center