Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What to do ?
RanjitThakker posted:
hi, friends i am 41 years old having Ankylosing Spondilosis (Due to Calcification in spinal code L-2 & L-3) since 1990 & my both hips are damaged since almost 11 years (Due to drugs Like Voveran(Pain killer)) & Wysolone(Steroid) Prescribed by Doctors & i am Suffering by Bambuspine also One of Dr. Suggest me to HIP Replacement in 2001 But another Dr. Suggest me not to do Hip Replacement Due to my Younger age (31years) from last 11 years i am living with this DRUGS & now at Present i am unable to Walk & Stand Strait Due to Pain & Bamboospine(Band Spinal code & Hips)
some time ago i read about Hip resurfacing so i ask to dr. that it is good for me then hi reply that Hip resurfacing is banes in Europe it have too much side effects.
i want to ask you that,
1) it is true ?( about Hip replacement)
2) what i have do (decide)
JudithKi responded:
I feel sorry you have to make these decisions but i would go for quality of life and if you need a hip replacments and they will do them I would go for it. I had a hip at 49 and a knee at 51 went from a cripple on a walking frame to walking alot better and definatly no pain in my hip anymore ( It kept me awake and crying ,even on morphine patches) I need the other knee done and yes the Drs are not happy to do them young but when you can't walk and stand without severe pain there is no other choice. Good luck with whatever you choose
Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
There is a lot of issues with hip resurfacing. I would treat cautiously as we now have a lot of metal on metal failures. Your issue is you will need a revision earlier as your other joints are stiff so get a few opinions from joint surgeons. We have new better technology and there is no need to suffer and wait.

Helpful Tips

I had my TKR done 6/30/15, and am back to work now. When I look back 3 mo. I can't believe how far I have come for the better. I also was ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center