Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain control after TKR
HarrisPT posted:
My mother is 2 days post-op TKR & has to stop pain meds due to severe dizziness & nausea. she is allergic to codine. any ideas out there on options for pain meds or alternative pain control methods???

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Harris,

I hope that this is being discussed with her surgeon and/or doctor.

In the meantime, you may also want to try posting on our Pain Management community .
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

HarrisPT replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
thank you for your reply. She is working with surgeon & ppharmacist. Unfortunately all they have come up with is Tylenol..

HarrisPT responded:
Thank you all for your replies. She is now tolerating pain medicine better & progressing nicely.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to HarrisPT's response:
That's very good to hear, HarrisPT. Thank you for updating us.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

YPease responded:
Hi! I had my TKR back on 11/7/12. I stopped taking my pain meds 2 days after I got home from the hospital. I was able to switch to plain old naproxen sodium. I would defiantly talk to her doctor though. I never had much of a pain issue though. I guess I am a little tougher than even I though as my doctor was really surprised as well. I saved my pain meds for those pesky PT visits where I knew we were going to really cause so discomfort to me and my new knee. In the end, I ended up tossing my pain meds out as I never really needed them that much. Maybe your Mother is the same way!

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center