avascular necrosis in the knee
An_246626 posted:
Hi. I am a 32 yr old married woman with 4 kids of my own and 2 stepchildren. About two years ago I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both of my hips due to years of steroid injections from another health complication I have. I had a core decompression surgery on my left hip that has seem to have helped. Then almost a year ago now I started having swelling and severe pain in my left knee. After having an MRI done I found out I also have necrosis in my knee. The bone loss is so great the only option I have is to wait for a knee replacement. The problem is I am so young. I am getting to where I can't stand the pain it causes me on a day to day basis and I have had one dr tell me I need to be atleast 55 before he would do a replacement. I understand the risks of having a replacement done at such a young age, but I also understand that I can't live like this for another 20+ yrs. The pain I go through is at times unbearable. I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had to have a knee replacement that was as young as I am. How did you convince the dr to go ahead and do it?
KevinHilton responded:
Unless you are wedded to your particular surgeon I am sure you can find others to do your surgery. It sounds like you have the proper indications except age for the surgery.
_swank_ responded:
I agree with the other poster. It's a quality of life issue. If your surgeon is not willing to help then find another one.