Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
avascular necrosis in the knee
An_246626 posted:
Hi. I am a 32 yr old married woman with 4 kids of my own and 2 stepchildren. About two years ago I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both of my hips due to years of steroid injections from another health complication I have. I had a core decompression surgery on my left hip that has seem to have helped. Then almost a year ago now I started having swelling and severe pain in my left knee. After having an MRI done I found out I also have necrosis in my knee. The bone loss is so great the only option I have is to wait for a knee replacement. The problem is I am so young. I am getting to where I can't stand the pain it causes me on a day to day basis and I have had one dr tell me I need to be atleast 55 before he would do a replacement. I understand the risks of having a replacement done at such a young age, but I also understand that I can't live like this for another 20+ yrs. The pain I go through is at times unbearable. I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had to have a knee replacement that was as young as I am. How did you convince the dr to go ahead and do it?

KevinHilton responded:
Unless you are wedded to your particular surgeon I am sure you can find others to do your surgery. It sounds like you have the proper indications except age for the surgery.

_swank_ responded:
I agree with the other poster. It's a quality of life issue. If your surgeon is not willing to help then find another one.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center