Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone with this Hip Experience
guyr63 posted:
I'm pretty young at 49. For about 4 years, I've experienced hip, back, leg, and now groin pain. It progressively got worse, so I changed ortho docs because my old one insisted that it was an SI joint problem and continually suggested more SI joint injections. I also did physical therapy for 6 weeks, which did not work as well as I hoped.

I recently visited my family doc and she took x-rays, which showed arthritis, large bone spurs, and joint space narrowing in my hip. The pain is continual, it never stops. It's been this way for quite awhile. I'm concerned with what the new orthopedic doc might suggest when I visit him in a couple of weeks. Is this the type condition that would benefit from a hip replacement? I'm willing to do just about anything at this point.

KevinHilton responded:
Arthritis in the hip joint can manifest in some cases as pain in the groin (around the hip), or pain in the lower back, femur (thigh) or even pain in the knee on the same side. Underlying back pain can be made worse with hip arthritis since normal pelvic tilt is altered and the body tries to make up for this lack of pelvic tilt by bending through joints nearby such as the lower back and SI joint. Without seeing your xrays its hard for me to speculate what your new doctor will say, however it sounds from your description that you may be a candidate for a hip replacement.

JudithKi responded:
Hi, my hip also had a joint space narrowing when I was 49 and quickly progressed to agony in the groin day and night and my Drs wouldn't believe me it was my hip because I needed both knees replaced , they said it was refered pain and left me like that on a waiting list to see an orthopedic surgeon, I finally got to see an orthopedic surgeon and the GP sent me for an xray to take with me and low and behold my hip was totally destroyed ready to break and I had a hip replacment 6 days later after waiting for a year in agony on morphine patches, trying to work on a wheely walker....now the pain is totally gone and after that and one knee replacment I can walk pretty well my hip is perfect a miracle so I would go with it if you have to good luck..

Tate42 responded:
I an 42 years old and about to have a total Hip Replacement on October 15th. I have been in pain for the past 6 years due to loss of cartilage in the hip socket. My Ortho doctor has been waiting as long as possible to replace it due to my age. Unfortunately in July he said it is time, the cartilage is totally gone. Unfortunately this means that I will have to have it replaced again when I am in my 60's. Hopefully technology will be better and there will be less chance of complications.

Anyone out there have their hip replaced in their early 40's?

georgia888 replied to Tate42's response:
Hello Tate42,
My surgeon won't replace mine & I'm 56. X-rays show bone-on-bone & it is painful but he feels I'm functioning too well & that I should wait because a replacement lasts for about only 15 years. Of course, there are some surgeons who aren't as concerned about that & will perform the operation regardless of age.

I can look at it from a couple perspectives. I respect the surgeon's concern for me however, if (assuming I live for another 30ish years) & have the first replacement in 5 years, I will only be that much older for the second one. I'm sure surgery of any kind carries greater risks the older one is.

For now, I'm living day-to-day. If I eventually have it done with this surgeon, I'm afraid he won't agree to it until I'm using a walking aid on a full-time basis.

I'm sure you'll hear from others who've had it done at your age & even younger.

My advice would be to wait until it's intolerable on an on-going basis. I noticed with mine, if I overdo it, it will feel worse but surprisingly gets better (for now). I swim daily & I believe this helps all my joints.

Good luck to you.

georgia

JudithKi replied to Tate42's response:
I was 49 almost 50, and my knee at 51, the surgeon told me the hip would last 20 to 25 years and the knee 15 and they were hesitant to replace my hip but it was ready to break and agony and my knee had collapsed in so I didn't have any option, I need my other knee but while I can walk I will put up with the pain, my knee has just had its first aniversary...you do what you have to do because when it gets to agonising pain day and night ,they can't ignore it and you are begging for it...

JudithKi replied to georgia888's response:
Mine used to come good and then get bad for 10 years,I hurt it when I was about 38... one day I was walking up the street and bang, the last of the cartlidge collapsed and it was downhill from there , it never came good. You know when you need it you are crying day and night with the pain and cant walk and pain patches won't even work and it's all you think about...

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center