Includes Expert Content
AVN of the Knee
MissJuJu1 posted:
I was told today that I have AVN. I took a bad fall a year agi, I have had two knee surgeries. After the second surgery, the pain in the has continued to get worse. The doctor finally ordered another MRI and it shows the AVN. He seems hestitant in doing the replacement at this time. He said if he does it now and the bone keeps dying, then, I would be having another replacement in a few years. He says I need it to run it's course. He has give some meds to help with the pain, which is pretty intense. Does anyone know how long it takes to run it's course? I am very confused and frustrated at this point. I am a 60 year old female. Thanks for any help.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
It has been long enough to declare what needs to be done. My belief is you should get the replacements. At your age I would not wait as your pain is likely from the bone on bone.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

MissJuJu1 replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
Thank you for your response. I will going back to my doctor next week and I hope he suggest the same thing. The burning, sharp pain and swolling is very frustrating. I am used to being very active and this has stopped my ability to enjoy simple activities.
So, in your opinion, I shouldn't have to wait until the bone completely dies away, before the replacement is done? He says if he doesn't wait, then I would need another replacement in a few years because it wouldn't fit right.
Again, thank you.
JuJu

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD replied to MissJuJu1's response:

Yes please also seek a second opinion. Once you do any replacement you alter the blood supply anyway. I recommend he uses a small stem and cement for the femur to ensure stability but if you need it you need it and this risk is only theoretical in my opinion.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com