Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Swollen knee after wearing brace
M_U posted:
know this is kinda off topic, but has anyone had problems with their knee swelling after wearing a brace? I went to the ER today, turns out I pulled some ligaments in my knee. The doc gave me a brace. I wore it for about 2 hours while a ran an errand. When I got home, my knee was more swollen then when I went in. Is this normal? Any clues, hints, suggestions?

Thanks,

M_U

_swank_ responded:
It's normal for a knee to swell after an injury, period. The fact that you suffered an injury and then went off and ran errands is a good reason for it to swell whether you're wearing a brace or not. You should have gone home and elevated and iced your knee if you wanted to keep swelling down. That being said, wearing a brace on a knee is not always the best idea. Sometimes they are better off without. You need to follow up with an orthopedic surgeon asap. A diagnosis of "pulled ligaments" is meaningless since there are 4 ligaments in your knee and several other things that can get torn. The ER is not the place to get this sort of thing diagnosed. They were likely just guessing.

M_U replied to _swank_'s response:
Thanks for the info. I did some research and fortunately it's only a level 1 sprain of the LCL, MCL and Miniscus and a strain of the quad tendon. I really lucked out this time. I will follow up with my PCP ad see if I can get a referral to Ortho. Unfortunately I'm reliant on a county medical system and won't get into Ortho for a few months.

Thanks again,

M_U

_swank_ replied to M_U's response:
I'd be interested to know what kind of research led you to that diagnosis. It's not really something that can be diagnosed by doing research. And you don't really sprain a meniscus. A meniscus is a cartilage, not ligaments, and it will only tear. A torn meniscus can be bad because they cannot heal due to the lack of a blood supply. I tore my ACL in half but the more devastating injury was the torn meniscus which eventually led to a knee replacement.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center