Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Good results with TKR
misschoochoo posted:
Before my surgery, I looked online for other people's accounts of their TKR experiences, such as on this site. After reading so many negative accounts, I was happy to read from one person who said the people who had bad experiences will be the ones most likely to post, and the people with positive experiences are too busy getting on with their lives and happy to be free from the pain they used to experience that they hardly post. So, I want to let others know that I believe there are a lot more people who have good experiences with TKR than not. I did exercises faithfully for my back before I ever had TKR, so my muscles were already strong. I'd lost some weight, but was still about 30 pounds too heavy before the surgery too. I was used to doing everything for myself, since I live alone -- gardening, home improvement and maintenance, walking the dog daily, and had 5 part-time jobs as a musician. So, I was fairly strong and capable of caring for myself, with no other large health issues other than the herniated disks in my back. I had the TKR in my right knee 12 days ago, and am now walking without a cane with a very good gait. I loved the physical therapy exercises and the CPM (Constant Passive Movement machine). I used deep breathing and music to get me through the hardest part of the exercises, when they were pushing me to the next level of strength and flexibility training. I was able to go home after 4 days in the hospital, and I had family and friends who came a few times to deliver a few supplies that I couldn't get before going into the hospital. I had already reorganized stuff for easy access, bought a foldable reacher for my walker basket, bought easy-on clothes, and had the house clean as recommended by the hospital. I've had great in-home physical therapy and continue to do all the suggested exercises -- doing them all at once, then working them into daily routines too. I'm used to eating healthy, so the suggested whole wheat bread, bran cereal, low-fat milk, vegetables and low-fat protein sources cooked simply without high-fat gravies, etc. wasn't a problem for me. In fact, my insurance plan sends 10 microwaveable meals to the home, and I threw away all the white bread and cookies they sent me. That doesn't build health and I was surprised they'd include those items. I did enjoy the low-fat, low sugar bran muffins my brother brought me -- that was the greatest treat of all. I'll be able to drive in another 2 weeks or so, and I've arranged for people to drive me to doc's and therapy appointments. I'll be going back to work in a little over 2 weeks after surgery. I've heard other success stories such as mine, and my therapists say most people could have such success if they do their pre-op exercises, then take their pain meds and do their post-op exercises and follow their doctor's directions. I hope this helps those who are looking for some encouragement.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
How wonderful, MissChooChoo, that your experience has been so positive! Thank you for taking the time to come back here and sharing your story and your tips!
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

duct leakage test
This could be everybody's great solution for carrying ladders inside house and risking own life from falling, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center