Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
greatgardner
An_247197 posted:
Hello everyone,
I had my knees replaced at the same time, 5/29/12, because I knew that going through this surgery twice would not be an option for me.
Well it has been 2 months--I can walk, get in/out of normal chairs, on/off lower toilets seats-hurts but I can do it, in/out of my SUV (drive), stand for awhile-over 10 minutes, sitting longer at one time is improving (stiffness-yuk), sleep is slowly getting better, and using over the counter pain medication such as Tylenol. Yes life is getting better not as fast as I would like but better. I have that numbness at the base of my knees and the outer aspect but the worse sensation I have is that feeling like my knees weigh a ton. going up stairs much better but I hate going down as I feel like I am falling forward and the back of my knees hurt--Outpatient therapy is a blessing-so much they have to offer and seeing others improving is a powerful tool. Still would like to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time but I am told by others this will improve as will my appetite--lost 25 pounds since surgery due to not really wanting to eat--have to eat to heal so I eat 6 small meals a day, carry dried fruit and nuts with me everywhere I go. Taking multity vitamins with iron--another pill but feeling better since.
I was fullly aware that this recovery was going to be rough. Doing exercises at least 2 times a day and walking at least 2 times a day plus going up and down my stair at least 2 times a day--therapist encourage activity but not more than 20 minutes at a time--not to over do as this will cause increase chnaces of injuty. "In time" --they tell me. They are correct--as they encouraged me to take those 30 minute naps that my body so tells me I need--never napped in my life-but this allows the body to rest and heal. i did some work in my garden and yard this week without feeling like I was about to die!! Been driving past 6 weeks!
I guess its the snap crackling and popping sensations that sometimes happens when the knees anatomy are freeing themselves--a good thing are annoying. The worse is thaqt sensation that my knees arent there and feel like a ton. The aching when the weather changes is still present --darn thought I would get ride of this --wrong. Message those scares freeing them so that drawing and tightness goes away.
You need to be self directed, not one to give up, plan your day to include exercise and rest and diet. Do not get down things will improve af you do your part--which is a huge part of recovering

I plan to return to work hopefully end of September--I am a hospital supervisor and so much bending, lifting, pushing, sitting, standing and doing stairs and running all over that my doctor says not now!!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
This is really so wonderful to read, thank you!
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center