Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Knee and hip replacement woes
    Lela53 posted:
    Hi: Has anyone out there ever heard of the doctor cutting (accidentally) the main ligament during a knee replacement. Mine was cut and he patched it up and now my knee is forever stuck -which makes it hard to sit for fear I will trip someone. He should have been sued-but none of these two faced lawyers here in alabama would take my case.I got all my records and he even admits he cut and repaired it with sutures. Also can a person get this ligament replaced? I would appreciate any info I could get on this subject.
    _swank_ responded:
    Which ligament are you calling "the main ligament"? There are 4 ligaments in the knee and they all have their purpose. The ACL and PCL are removed during surgery. The LCL and MCL remain. I don't see how cutting either of those would cause your knee to be stuck. I don't really know what you mean by stuck.

    None of the lawyers will take the case because they know they can't win. Accidents happen during surgery. It doesn't mean your doctor was negligent. You knew this when you read (or should have read) and signed the consent form.

    Helpful Tips

    Tips on options for hip replacementsExpert
    In today's competitive markets, many companies and surgeons are advocating and pushing their own prosthesis, when it comes to hip ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 42 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center