Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain in Knee after Pedaling Piano
misschoochoo posted:
I had a Total Knee Replacement about 6 weeks ago, and am doing great, except when I pedal the piano. I play for church, and it seems that after I've pedaled, my knee swells up much more than usual, and the pain is much worse too. I'm at the piano off and on throughout the service, and about 10 minutes at a time. Does anyone else have this kind of problem, or does anyone know if keeping your knee at this angle while applying pressure downward would account for the additional swelling and pain? I'm doing 80 deep knee bends, 80 stair steps and riding the bicycle easily at therapy, and driving a car, so I'm concerned about this since it's my job. Thanks for any help.

macgyverhiker responded:
I don't have a knee replacement, but I have this problem. I thought it was "runner's knee" but had a flash of inspiration -- been practicing the piano an hour twice a day for a wedding when normally I practice only 3 hymns for a service -- and wondered.... could it be from pedaling? Googled "knee pain piano" and your post came up. I found a link with a lot of suggestions, mostly using an adjustable piano stool so that there's less bend in the knee.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1671772/Knee_pain_from_pedalling.html

So we are not the only ones in the world who have this. It's real.

misschoochoo replied to macgyverhiker's response:
Thanks -- I'll look into that. I've just been scooting the bench back so as not to have such a bend. I'm having less pain now since my knee has become more flexible and less swollen. I think I just started playing too quickly after my replacement -- I needed to get back to work to pay my bills.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center