Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
9 mo after bilateral knee replacements
fritzikay posted:
I am now 9 months post op and still having major problems with my left knee. It remains swollen, stiff and unstable. My therapist asked me to get copies of the x-ray and feels there is something wrong. The right knee has a noticeable space between the metal implants, but there is no space on the left knee. On the bent knee x-ray the left knee implants look like they are imbedded into each other, instead of barely touching as in the right knee. I have called another physician in town to get an appointment for a second opinion, but he won't see me until 12 months after original surgery. Is this common? My doctor keeps telling me that if I work on my quads on my left knee, everything will be fine and the pain and swelling will stop! I have been going to therapy for 8 months and continue doing leg lifts and trying to go up and down stairs normally. I am very unstable going downhills and going downstairs is very painful and unstable feeling! I have an appointment to see my original surgeon Monday and want to ask him to do any non-invasive tests that are available such as more x-rays and ultrasound and tests for nerve damage. I don't want more surgery, but I can't continue like this. My lifestyle has drastically changed, since I was a hiker and very independent!! I was better off with the pain from osteoarthritis with bone on bone!! At least I could take several ibuprofens when I wanted to take a short hike. Now no anti-inflammatories help with the pain or swelling that seems to be constant. Even in bed, my left knee has to be propped up in just one position to relieve the pain. HELP !!!

Take the Poll

Where can I get a second opinion soon?
  • Where can I get a second opinion soon?
  • Do I have to wait for a year before getting another physician?
vote
View Poll Results

countrydarlin responded:
I had bi-lateral knee replacements done in June 2012, There is still swelling that I treat with applying ice several times a day and night, numbness,and pain, enough that I needed pain meds. I do feel I click at times when I walk and my hips NEVER bothered me before but now ...horrible! But your problem with the space(?) ...get your X-rays that you had done after the surgery and let Physical therapy look at them. They make reports to the Dr. of your progess and recovery , maybe you can get some kind of answers that way. BUT don't let your concerns go unanswered.take care and don't give up!

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center