Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
looking at surgery?
kneepainguy posted:
Have severe degradation and knee pain in rt knee. Doc says that we have tried everything else and it is time to replace. I'm not thrilled with that but an wanting assurance that this will work. I bicycle a lot (10-12mi rides and 40+ rides several times a year...If I do it now the knee swells up and its cane and ice for weeks...hoping the replacement would get me back into the bike within a year,. I'm 52 and know I need to do something but the knee how it is now is stopping me from doing a lot of things. Advice???

arbob5 responded:
I say do it. I have had both hips replaced and also my right knee. It is amazing the difference joint replacement surgery makes. Yes, it takes rehab to heal properly, but believe me, it is well worth it.

And once you're healed, you will be back on your bike. It is good therapy. I have an exercise bike, and about 3 weeks after my knee replacement, I started back on the exercise bike, slowly at first, very slowly, but my therapist highly recommended it, and also said I should go out and buy a bicycle instead of just using the exercise one I have. I didn't do that, but I just wanted to reassure you that bicycling is good therapy.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, ok?

countrydarlin responded:
I'm 55 and had the 2 knnes done at the same time. I had no more options other than surgery. My life was getting horrible, not being able to do anything. I'm still recovering and it's going slower than I like it to be but it's coming along. your bike riding should be good after the surgery. That was one of the things I did one week after, it was painful but it felt good.Each of us recovers differently so just give your self time to heal. Having 1 knee done is a heck of alot easier than 2, and if it will better your way and quality of life, what is there to loose! Make sure you sit and talk with your Doctor and ask any questions you have, and understand every thing before surgery. Goog luck with making your decision!

kneepainguy replied to countrydarlin's response:
Thanks a lot! Im encouraged by your response. I have decided to do it and am working on scheduling. I am hoping and praying that all goes well. I know there are many worse things I could go thru but just want to make sure I am doing the right thing...

kneepainguy replied to arbob5's response:
Thanks arbob5. I have spoke to may at church and family that have had this done. Not a young as me but they made it through with flying colors. Just have to put my head down and go thru it. Can't keep hobbling around with a swelled knee and a cane. I have an exercise bike as well and I am going to schedule the replacement for Dec. so I can rehab inside and by spring weather get on the "real" bike.
Thanks for all the encouragement!

arbob5 replied to kneepainguy's response:
You're very welcome. It's the right thing to do, no doubt about it. I put off my last hip surgery....just because....but so glad I finally made that phone call and scheduled it.

You will do fine, I'm totally convinced of that, and afterwards you will definitely wonder why you didn't have it done sooner.

Keep in touch, ok? God bless.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center