Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to treat the tight band feeling following TKR
doodlegirl1234 posted:
I had a rt TKR 4 mos ago. I am only 50, and made quick progress to nearly full flexion and extension. I have an unrelenting tight brace feeling around my knee that causes me to limp and makes walking very painful. Is this something that should be treated by the OS or should i be seeing a neurologist? it seems there is some question about whether it is a nerve issue v. knee. My surgeon is reluctant to prescribe any pain medicine since i am 4 mos out- but i cannot tolerate the brace and how painful it is. any help is appreciated.

nodarkaura responded:
I have the same feeling and I'm 6 months out and in 5 weeks hhaving the other knee replaced. I do worry about getting around and I limp and it does hurt. I can't get a firm answer from the Dr. either, she says it can take up to a year for the swelling and discomfort to stop. Hope you start feeling better soon, I'm not looking forward to the holdays this year!

doodlegirl1234 replied to nodarkaura's response:
Good luck to you. I met a man a few weeks ago who had the same "tight" feeling after he had his first knee replaced- and ended up having the replacement redone.. he had no problems the second time. He also had the left knee done and it all went fine without any tightness at all! I need my other knee done, too, but am certainly reluctant to do it with the right knee being such a problem. Hope yours goes well.

JudithKi responded:
Hi, I also had this and the tendon pulled really tight at the back of my leg, it is just over a year now and everything is fine but it did take a fair few months...I was 51, I use an excersise bike and that seems t really keep it moving good luck..

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center