Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    How to treat the tight band feeling following TKR
    doodlegirl1234 posted:
    I had a rt TKR 4 mos ago. I am only 50, and made quick progress to nearly full flexion and extension. I have an unrelenting tight brace feeling around my knee that causes me to limp and makes walking very painful. Is this something that should be treated by the OS or should i be seeing a neurologist? it seems there is some question about whether it is a nerve issue v. knee. My surgeon is reluctant to prescribe any pain medicine since i am 4 mos out- but i cannot tolerate the brace and how painful it is. any help is appreciated.
    nodarkaura responded:
    I have the same feeling and I'm 6 months out and in 5 weeks hhaving the other knee replaced. I do worry about getting around and I limp and it does hurt. I can't get a firm answer from the Dr. either, she says it can take up to a year for the swelling and discomfort to stop. Hope you start feeling better soon, I'm not looking forward to the holdays this year!
    doodlegirl1234 replied to nodarkaura's response:
    Good luck to you. I met a man a few weeks ago who had the same "tight" feeling after he had his first knee replaced- and ended up having the replacement redone.. he had no problems the second time. He also had the left knee done and it all went fine without any tightness at all! I need my other knee done, too, but am certainly reluctant to do it with the right knee being such a problem. Hope yours goes well.
    JudithKi responded:
    Hi, I also had this and the tendon pulled really tight at the back of my leg, it is just over a year now and everything is fine but it did take a fair few months...I was 51, I use an excersise bike and that seems t really keep it moving good luck..

    Helpful Tips

    Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
    For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    59 of 76 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center