Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
knee cap grinding/scraping after surgery?
Gma_Nasha posted:
I had my tkr surg. on June 14th this year. /things seemed to be going on ok for me, but about 3 weeks ago I noticed my knee popping. I seems to be getting worse. Each time I bend my knee then straighten it back out it scrapes. I asked my surgeon about it and he says give it time. It could take a year to fully heal. Guess I should add I am 65 yr old and not in the best health. With the knee joint creaking each time I straighten it out it gets sore! Anyone else experienced this? This is my first time to post and I did want to check other jposts first, but couldn't figure out how. I welcome any questions and constructive criticisms. thanks and God Bless!

arbob5 responded:
I don't recall the experience you're going through when I had my knee replaced. But it does take quite awhile for a full recovery, not only at the point of the surgery, but your body has gone through major surgery, and it can take a toll on your entire body. I think most people do not realize that. For instance....I had my right hip replaced on 7/16/2012, it went wonderfully, in hospital for 3 days, 2 weeks intensive in home therapy, and I was no on any pain meds after the first day in the hospital, and then only Tylenol. But, I have ulcerative colitis, which was in remission before the surgery. About a week after I got home, my UC started to flare unbelievably, and up until about 2 weeks ago, I had diarrhea and felt it was just the UC! After a talk with my ortho surgeon and my gastro doctor, they were convinced it was my body reacting to the major surgery I had. I am now back to "normal", that is, UC is under control again. So I think we really have to consider the shock our entire body goes through after major surgery.

Give it time...I think as long as your Dr. has said it can take awhile to completely heal, lean on that explanation. However, if it continues to pop and maybe even get worse, by all means let the surgeon know about it.

Keep us posted, OK?

Gma_Nasha replied to arbob5's response:
thank you, I usually think of my self as being a patient person but lately I don't know!

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center