Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hip Replacement
An_248125 posted:
My husband was told a few days ago that he needs a hip replacement. Anyone out there that has had a hip replacement in the past year? I would love to hear your comments (pro's and con's)
Thanks much.

arbob5 responded:
Well, 8 years ago I had my left hip replaced. Fairly easy...surgery took a little under 2 hours. 7 years ago I had my right knee replaced...not as easy as the hip. 10 weeks ago, I had my right hip replaced...talk about easy....surgery took less than an hour, hospitalized 3 days (medicare regulates this and I could have gone home next day), had two weeks in home therapy. That worked out wonderfully and I had an exercise program to follow after that, which I did religiously. Twice a day with all of the exercises. This is absolutely necessary. You need to get those muscles back in shape.

Saw Dr. at 2-1/2 weeks after surgery, removed sutures, told me I had no restrictions, driving was OK, except to be very aware of the precautions which were absolutely necessary..in other words, for example, never sit with your knee higher than your hip, stand up and sit down as recommended, when sitting, do not lean forward, using steps with this in mind....up with the good, down with the bad. And there are other precautions that your Dr. will recommend. I received a printed brochure showing all of these do's and don'ts.

There precautions, as I mentioned, are very important, as well as the exercises recommended. It makes recovery easier and in my opinion, much quicker.

Also, while in the hospital, because I do not like any narcotics at all, I only took Tylenol, which, by the way, was all that was needed. Very, very little pain. I was able to put full weight on my hip right away.

Now, at 10 weeks after the surgery, I am pain free, able to do just about anything I want, and I just cannot believe the strides that have been made since my first hip replacement 8 years ago. Amazing, absolutely amazing.

I would most definitely recommend hip replacement to anyone who needs it and has some reservations about what to expect. It is major surgery, but believe me, I had more problems with a D&C I had 10 years ago. And that was as an outpatient!

Tell your husband good luck, and to follow EVERYTHING the surgeon recommends. That is very, very important. And please let me know how he's doing. I am sure all will go well.

God bless.

Wilde12 replied to arbob5's response:

thank you VERY much! I'll let you know after he has the surgery.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center