Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Reason for Hip Surgery
Turill posted:
Recently my Mother went to the DR and was told that she needed a hip replacement because the cartilage in her hip was gone. I was curious if that is reason enough for a hip replacement Surgery?

JudithKi responded:
Hi, I had a hip replacment 18 months ago and believe me if your mother needs a hip replacment she would know it as the pain is excrutiating and relentless and can't be ignored...day and night. Yes the cartlidge had gone and the bones were rubbing together but the reason is pain mine was in the groin...good luck for your mum...good news is it's like a miricle ...no more pain..

georgia888 responded:
My hip has been bone-on-bone for a couple of years now & although it can be painful, I have learned to manage the condition through the help of warm water exercises. Many at the therapeutic pool I visit on a daily basis have also been able to postpone surgery by using this pool.

Each of us deals with conditions differently. We use these medical communities to share our stories.

Things to consider when contemplating surgery include level of pain, one's age, & of course, one's health.

Become as informed as possible & if it is feasible, get a second opinion.

Good luck,
georgia

arbob5 replied to georgia888's response:
You will know when you can't ignore the pain any longer.
When I did have my recent hip surgery (7/16), afterwards the surgeon said it was really bad, worse than he had thought or that xrays showed. So, again, you will know. Bone on bone is terribly painful. And it will only get worse, believe it or not.

Good luck and God bless.

Turill replied to arbob5's response:
Thanks

Turill replied to JudithKi's response:
Thanks

Turill replied to georgia888's response:
Thanks

JudithKi replied to arbob5's response:
Mine was too and ready to break the surgeon said they were reluctant because I was young... 50 ...but had no choice and boy wasn't it a relief. I couldn't believe how fast it deteriorated good luck..

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center