Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
dealing with the process.
newknee posted:
hi, new here. i am in my 11th wk post op, with a blessing of being in a rehab for 10 days. thanks to all for letting me know all this wierd stuff that is happening to me is normal. finishing up 2nd round of pt and going to request medical plan if they will approve more. really hard to think that one is progressing, whee...the light at the end of the tunnel and then a left turn and i feel like i did 5 weeks ago. with pain, and all the other that goes along with it. i know that a positive attitude is the best medicine, just having a bit of difficulty keeping it on the plus side. i am frustrated and a bit disappointed (in myself) that i have had a setback. i can't get it thru my head what a major surgery this is. i seem to think, ah i can dominate this, this is nothing...surprise! anyway, i am walking good, use a cane but only for stability and around the house i use my own two legs. thanks for the notes about the bands below the knee, no one mentions this. also, i have pain on the outside edge of my knee. is this normal? i am so afraid that the knee will become unglued. i do have a big question, does anyone else feel this??? when i drive and go over the bumps in the road, i feel that the "knee" jiggles. this is the only time i feel this, maybe it is the muscles that are not strong enough yet. anyone experience this? had one post op visit, and the second is not until 2+ months later so haven't had a chance to ask the md. i think we all need to encourage each other. it helps so much to know that others are out there with the same questions and pains and quirks. unfortunately, i have no support group and have had to deal with this pretty much alone. (with the exception of 2 big dogs who refuse to voice their suggestions). having to deal with this alone has made me a stronger, more self reliant person, but it would have been nice to have someone go get the ice, or the water when i just sat down and forgot to bring it. not to mention carrying a glass of water with a walker. fun huh? people were supportive while i was in the hospital, but later at home they seemed to forget all about my disability. no big deal, i dealt with all with no falls or trips and i think i pushed my rehab by not depending on anyone. i thank you all for your comments, don't like the one about 2 yrs recovery, but what are we going to do. i have less pain now and know that i will be able to get around better as time goes on. to all, keep the positive attitude, do your best to move around. couch potatoes (me included) create stiff and unyielding knees. God bless all of you and give you strength. especially those that had double knee surgery. can't fathom how y'all got thru that. one was bad enough, two would be a job...........

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Newknee,

It's now a week later, how are you doing this week?

I hope that others who have been there will share their own thoughts on all you're going through. I expect you're not alone.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

newknee replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
things are going better. i have been discharged from pt, with excercises to do at home. i have excellent days and bad days and really bad days, but the really bad days don't last long and the good out number the bad. i have finally accepted that recovery is going to take as long as it takes, and to just deal with one day at a time. still have the pain on the side, but is is there after a bad spell and goes away on the good days. the jiggling is there also on the bad days. i think both have to do with the swelling that comes and goes. did have a big victory (for me at least). i was able to climb the double stairway at work, and go down the same way a normal person would. YEEEAAAH. one day i went up and down twice. good excercise, but i paid for it the next day with the swelling. try to make a habit of going up and down every other day. all in all, i have a better attitude and better mobility. it is a long and drawn out recovery, but day by day getting a little better.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to newknee's response:
Yay for climbing that double stairway!

It's good to hear from you and hear how it's going.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center