Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
level of activity @ 4mos. recovery from bilateral tkr
An_248293 posted:
This site is very helpful as the Drs. & PT folks have limited info. on recovery duration and normal adverse reactions to surgery. I am 4 mos. post op bi-lateral tkr. I had too much scar tissue forming so went back into hospital @3 weeks and had a manipulation procedure where they bent my legs back to my butt under anesthesia and had another overnight in the hospital. I have been an athlete all my life so have expected to resume my activities (rowing, cycling & hiking) much quicker than recovery has allowed. I do have 135 degree range in both knees but find it very difficult to get off the floor or squat down to get into my rowing shell at the dock. I seem to have what feels like tendonitis on the outside of my left knee which keeps me from negotiating stairs (going down) very well. This knee was the most knock-kneed prior to surgery so am assuming that tendons & ligaments must be irritated with the stretching to a straight position.
I still have swelling after sitting or being on my feet too long. I keep wondering how long until I return to normal and how hard should I push myself. Sleeping at night is still difficult when the Advil wears off. (just one knee hurts)
I am so happy to be off the heavy duty drugs as they severely depressed me and irritated my stomach. I had to sleep sitting up for a week till my Dr. prescribed Prevacid for the acid that had formed.
I feel as though I've been through the worst of it but wonder if I'll ever
be free of stiffness, swelling and pain. I'm a 66 yr. old female athlete who wants to get on with it!

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
You still are very early and the muscles have to be retrained. Everyone responds differently but a flexion of 135 is great. Keep working as it seems you are doing very well.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

dorothy152 replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
Thanks for your reassurance. Just this week I started making some really good strides in my recovery with less pain and
ability to exercise more. I have started to have more trust that
I really will heal and gain my strength back!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to dorothy152's response:
That's great to hear, Dorothy!
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center