Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Leg length after hip replacement
Dutzika posted:
hi, i was born with congenital hip dislocation due to which at some point in the near future I will need a hip replacement. When i was 16 i had a leg length discrepancy of 5.5 cm which i had corrected with femoral osteotomies. Due to growing, hip dysplasia and all I still have a discrepancy of 1cm which I corect with a shoe lift. The problem is the longer leg is the leg with the hip dysplasia. My worry is that after hip replacement the longer leg will become even longer due to the prosthetic and the fact that my hip is a bit abnormal, but my question is if the replacement would lengthen the leg too much could the surgeon shorten the femur or anything that would make the legs even or almost even? I know some people don't have a problem if they have different leg lengths, but it's really a big issue for me. ty

LaurenM responded:
Hi. I too have Developmental Dysplasia of the hips, bilateral and had an osteotomy as a 10 year old. Now at age 56, I am readying for THR in December.
I would recommend a online support group: hipwomen@yahoo.com
My understanding is through proper selection of the right sized femoral head prothesis and preparing the femor for length equaling, leg length differences of such a small size are easily resolved.
Good luck to you.
LaurenM

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center