Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Loose artificial hip joint
geneiebug posted:
Refer to an earlier posting, please. Surely there is some one "out there," who has/have a similar experience. Briefly, my problem.....
2nd artificial hip joint failure. Chose (due to my age) not to undergo a third procedure. At first, 2 orthepedists were not willing to do a 3rd attempt. Later, by checking X-rays and reviewing my health history, they were ready to do a 3rd procedure. And then......I opted not to. I use a walking cane and the hip pain hardly ever abates.

_swank_ responded:
I'm not sure what you want. You don't want a hip replacement that could reduce your pain, and you don't want to take narcotics that could reduce your pain. If it's that bad there's probably not much you can take that is going to work. However, the only way to know for sure is to try. If your doctor won't wirte a prescription for you then ask for a referral to a pain management doctor. Exercising in a warm water pool might help but you can't stay in the water all day. Personally, I'd take the narcotics if my doctor offered them. They can actually help you get some of your life back.

KevinHilton responded:
I feel very bad about the situation you are in. I'm fairly certain you live with disabling pain that really effects a lot of your activities. I curious as to what your surgeon felt your problem was -- did the hip become loose? is it unstable? is their an infection present? etc. Different diagnoses carry different chances of success or failure. I'm wondering if you could provide a better description of your problem.

arbob5 replied to KevinHilton's response:
I'm curious...about your age...want to share that with us? I am 74, 3-1/2 months ago had my second hip replacement, and I have had no problems whatsoever. 8 years ago had my left hip replaced, 7 years ago had my right knee replaced, and as I said, recently my right hip was replaced. Was my age a subject of discussion with my surgeon? Yes, it was, but my other option, living with the horrendous pain (especially the groin area!), was not appealing to me. After all of my pre-op tests came back normal, I wanted the surgery. And I certainly do not regret it. Again, the older we get, the longer recovery takes. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My family now calls me bionic! Far from that, believe me!

I do agree that if you choose not to have the surgery, by all means turn to meds. You do not have to live with this pain. While the drugs may not totally take the pain away, just taking the "edge" off of the pain can make a great difference in your everyday comfort. You will find that you can cope with the "lesser" pain much better.

Let us know how you're doing, ok? We do care.

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center