Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
totally hip replacement
sabrina94 posted:
I did a totally HIP Replacement six month ago and i still cannot tie my left shoe lace i am not in that much pain even sleeping on the left side sometime i feel alittle bit off pain

aguidette responded:
Give it time..sometimes doing simple things like bending down to tie your shoe can be difficult..I hope you are doing your stretch excise , like trying to put the operative leg up on your knee..Did you do outside Physical therapy?..You will feel pain off and on for year maybe more also swelling ..just try and relax..elevate ,put ice on your replacement side..and know that it is not unusual to feel all sorts of pings and pains for quite awhile..I had one hip done about year and half ago and the other Jan of this year...I am doing well, but I still have pain especially after I walk in my calf muscles..the surgeon said this is normal since I wasn't able to walk for quite a few years before the surgery...do your stretches and hopefully you will be able to do everything in awhile..people tell you all sorts of things about your surgery, how long it takes to heal, etc etc...It takes longer then you think..good luck and hopefully I can help...

arbob5 replied to aguidette's response:
Healing after hip surgery, or any other surgery for that matter, differs from one person to another. Everyone is different...many variables play into it...age, continuing to do exercises (this is so very important!), overall health, etc. etc. Please do not "give up". Staying positive is also very important.

I know you can get past this phase of the healing process. As frustrating as it is to you, you body will heal for you, BUT, you have to help it. Again, exercises as prescribed by your therapist, other tips from your doctor, AND, a positive attitude. You can do this!!

sabrina94 replied to aguidette's response:
Thank you , i will try my best to think positive and give it time. has they say time heal. yes i am doing the stretch excise at home and i am still doing physical therapy but because off the pain i am feeling in my back the door stop me from doing physical therapy until the now what wrong with my back. i ride bike but not for long i ride like four to five block and back . good luck to you too aguidette

sabrina94 replied to arbob5's response:
Thank arbo5 i will keep the faith and you do the same too

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center