Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
knees painful and swollen years after replacements.
editor1943 posted:
My knee replacements occurred in 2002 and 2006. I have had two arthropscopic surgeries on my left knee to remove scar tissue. The last one was in March of this year. Doctor recommended therapy and as soon as I started, the pain came back. My right knee also is swollen and painful. I have seen numerous orthopedic doctors, I've had epidural injections and I'm still left with this problem. Does anyone have these types of symptoms and found a solution?

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Your surgeon must first rule out infection. Once this is done, seek a second opinion from a doctor who specializes in joints. Good luck.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
Your surgeon must first rule out infection. Once this is done, seek a second opinion from a doctor who specializes in joints. Good luck.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

inforequest replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
Hi Bal
My Mum had her knees replaced in May2012 but the swelling keeps coming back. We consulted another surgeon for his opinion and he said the operation was done right. She has been told it is urinary infection. However, when I read about Urinary infection, it doesn't mention swelling at all. I am very concerned as she hates her life which is full of discomfort, her personality has changed from social to a bitter person after years of pain and from no relief after knee replacement.

Could you please suggest anything as I see you are an MD?

Thanks

editor1943 replied to Bal M Rajagopalan, MD's response:
Thank you!

Helpful Tips

What is hip pain, and what else could it be?Expert
Frequently hip pain is mistaken for another diagnosis and vice versa. In my practice, I have seen people have hip replacements from various ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center