Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Meniscus tear
ssankla posted:
Hi, I need some help to understand my Meniscus tear in left knee. Orthopedic Doctor advise me go for surgery, but I feel like to take second opinion. I had been told that it can't be heal as the blood supply is less than 20% in this area.
Is this type of Meniscus tear can be heal / cure without surgery ?

MRI Report for Left Knee
IMPRESSION : Complex but predominately oblique undersurface type tear involving the posterior horn of the medical meniscus extending towards its junction with the meniscal body. There is some associated reactive or stress-related subchondral bone marrow edema seen along the periphery of the medial femoral condyle.

Comment:
Multiple MRI examination of the left knee was performed. Comparison is made with plain radiographs.

There is small joint effusion and a small Baker's cyst.

Lateral meniscus demonstrates no evidence of tear. There is a complex but predominantly oblique undersurface tear involving the posterior horn of the medial meniscus extending towards its junction with the meniscal body. There is subchondral bone marrow edema seen along the peripheral aspect of the medial femoral condyle which may be reactive to the adjacent medial meniscal tear or may reflect some stress-related marrow edema. No discrete subchondral stress/insufficiency type fracture line is seen at this time.

The anterior posterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral ligament, iliotibial band, fibular collateral ligament, biceps femoris, popliteus, and extensor mechanism remain intact.

No discrete medial, lateral, or patellofemoral compartment articular cartilage defect is seen.

_swank_ responded:
Get another opinion if it will make you feel better. But a meniscus tear won't heal on its own due to the lack of blood supply. No amount of second opinions can change that. You can live with a tear however. You will have good days and bad days but your knee will likely get worse until you have the torn bits removed.

KevinHilton responded:
Complex tears are in a way a fancy term implying "shredding" or fraying of the meniscus. These types of tears do not heal. It's difficult to advise you whether surgery is an appropriate course for you, since you didn't include anything about your symptoms -- just a description of your knee based on a test. Its always important to determine if your symptoms are concordant with the MRI findings in order to see if surgery would be a reasonable alternative to relieve your symptoms.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center