Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
problems with recovery...1 yr post op
tlynn0314 posted:
I broke my left tib/fib Oct 6 of last yr in a motorcycle accident. I don't know anyone to ever have this injury and continue to wonder if everything i've been through and problems I'm still having are normal with this injury.
Will try to give the short version. After accident the ER doctors shot me full of morphine and dimaral handed my mom a bunch of scrips then security put me in the car still screaming in pain. After first visit with Ortho he gave me a reference card for assistance with medical expense (I dont have insurance). 5 wks, an MRI, 2 falls while at home and several angry calls from my mom I finally get scheduled for surgery which lasted over 6 hours (he said the break was worse than he first thought). I spent 6 days in the hospital and released with a post op appt in 2 wks. The repair required 2 plates and 2 pins, I did my time on the crutches and walker, I followed up with my PT and I can walk independently now (I was honestly beginning to think I never would).
I will be a year post op tomorrow and have concerns about the recovery that when I've asked him the ortho doesn't exactly answer as much as he appeases me or side steps them. For one the small pins (I was told they're usually removed) are very visible on either side just below my patella (a good razor will cut BAD if I'm not careful)......when I ask the Dr told me it just looks that way because I have a nice thin leg. My PT even told me that was crazy. The scar is bad enough but these pins make it look deformed. Other issues include almost constant pain, a limp that is very noticeable also limiting walking and most outdoor activity, I trip, stumble and fall if I have to walk on anything other than a hard smooth surface, I can't carry my 6 yr old who weighs 42lbs I guess we really do lift with our knees. These are just some of the issues. I also have questions I can't get answered like is one of the pins holding the plates suppose to go through the Fibula, through the plate, through the Tibia and then out the other side enough its visible on my x-rays?
I wouldn't wish this injury on my worst enemy. The isolation of being stuck home alone for months, being unable to care for my 2 children and home, the confinement, the pain that almost never stops, the limitations I face now, the new walk that looks alot like Fred G Sanford.....and so much more keep me wondering if I just need to deal with it or if I should have another Dr take a look at it.

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
This is a very complicated injury. First of all, 5 weeks after an injury is a long time. It is hard to reduce a fracture to perfection so you likely have a malunited fracture. I wonder if you have arthritis now or set up for such. The best you can do now is seek an extra opinion and get new x-rays.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center