Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Traditional Hip Replacement Precautions
An_248902 posted:
I had traditional hip replacement surgery (the posterior-lateral approach) a month ago and was told to observe the hip replacement precautions (i.e., not bending my hip beyond 90 degrees) for the first 6 weeks following surgery to avoid dislocation.

At my post-operative follow-up appointment with the surgeon yesterday, I was told that I would need to observe these precautions for the rest of my life! I was shocked -- I'll never be able to bend over to tie a shoe on this side? To cut my toenails? Is my surgeon being overly cautious? If not, do any of you fellow hip-replacement patients have tips on how to best deal with these limitations?

arbob5 responded:
I had hip replacement surgery on 7/16 and I always used the precautions on the list. When I went for my 6 week checkup with my surgeon, he said no restrictions. However, I am still very cautious and I told him this. He said whatever is more comfortable for me is OK. At 6 weeks, MOST replaced hips are pretty firmly settled, but extra precautions are not out of the question. I got so used to these precautions that here I am, almost 4 months since my surgery, and I still do practice some of them. Why? Better safe than sorry, I guess.

There are ways around some of these precautions. When you bend over to pick something up, use the "golfer's stoop", which is if you have your right hip replaced, stretch it out behind you and you can bend your left leg normally. This is perfect. I still use this all the time. It's very comfortable and makes perfect sense. My surgeon demonstrated this to me at the 6 week checkup.

Your surgeon might be extra cautious in your case. I don't know why, but ask him. I had my left hip replaced 8 years ago and I do not use the precautions on that one and I have no problem. But, again, ask your surgeon if there is a specific reason for him suggesting continuing to use them.

Keep me posted on what he says. I'm quite interested. And for now, use the precautions. You can actually tell when the hip is really and truly healed. The surrounding tissue sometimes takes longer to heal on some patients compared to others. Age? Who knows. I'm 74. I

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center