Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bilaterial TKR Progress
BiminiBob posted:
On 7/28/12, I underwent simultaneous Bilateral TKR, today 11/16/12 both knees still hurt after standing for 10 minutes or walking up a flight of stairs. The pain tends to go across the entire knee, & getting up from a chair still requires a push off with 2 arms to get standing and it does hurt for about 20 seconds after.

I am a 59 year old male, 6'4" & 300 pounds at present. Over the past year I did lose 70 pounds on the orthos advise after 2 complete scopes were done that did nothing.
My issues came after a rear end car accident on the interstate where in typical rush our fashion you go from 55 to stop every ½ mile and the car behind me did not see the stopped traffic.

A total of 12 days in the hospital 6 in a surgical unit then the balance in the hospitals rehab unit & the only took me since it was a bilateral one knee would have been shipped out to a rehab center.

I have done extremely well post op & the Surgeon and PT kicked me loose after 6 weeks I have full flex to the point the doctor does not want me to bend them that far and full extension. I can sit cross legged in bed or my chair.

Phantom pain still happens, certain movements cause pain, standing & climbing stairs still hurt.

Am I expecting too much at this point in my recovery, both Dr. & PT says I have exceeded the normal goals. I can ride my bike 1 mile a day pretty much pain free.

When do they really no longer hurt???

Bal M Rajagopalan, MD responded:
STILL VERY EARLY, TRUST YOUR SURGEON AND PHYSICAL THERAPIST. BILATERAL KNEES ARE TOUGHER TO REHABILITATE FROM.
DR RAJ MD,FRCSC
www.drhipandknee.com

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center