Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
total knee replacement
lcwisdom posted:
Is there a support number that you can call. I had a tkr a little over 4 months ago.I am still having pain especially at night. I do not like taking pain pills like lortabs they don't really help anyway.My knee does not hurt as bad as it did when I first had the tkr but I have come across some people that had the surgery around the same time that I did and they say they are not going through any pain.That does concern me. Has anyone had pain for a long time and then the pain finally went away. I just want to make sure what I am going through is normal. So if anyone could please give me some information on this it will really help.

_swank_ responded:
I had pain for months. I still have some pain and I'm almost 2.5 years post-op. But I'm not a usual case as this was the 8th surgery on my knee and being pain free was not something that was going to happen completely. However, I'm pain free probably 70% of the time and that's good enough for me.

At four months out you can expect pain. It can take a year or more to heal. It doesn't matter if other people don't have pain. Your experience is your own. If pain killers don't work then ask your doctor for stronger ones and then take them.

fenet218 responded:
I had my left knee replaced last feb and the right one this march, and I still have pain in both. the right knee hurts more than the left did post-op though. I get pain down my lower leg to the top of my feet when lying down and they both stiffen up when I'm cooking or doing dishes. hart to sit after. still waiting to be pain free. my mom says her's don't hurt but she got the over 10 yrs ago

Helpful Tips

Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 73 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center