Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Pain after ACL repair
    BForr posted:
    As adivsed by WebMD staff I am posting this here:

    I am 15 years post ACL repair. I tore my ACL and fractured my knee in three places while in the Marine Corps. The surgeon at Bethesda Naval Hospital did a great job repairing the ACL. However 15 years later I deal with constant pain, swelling, my knee buckles and gives out on me and there is a loud audiable painful pop when I straighten my leg that can be heard across the room. I am a current patient with the VA, I went to the doctor there with the symptoms, he ordered x-rays, MRI and did a complete (so he says) exam on my knee only to say there is nothing wrong. What should I do now? I can not deal with the pain much longer. On a pain scale of 1-10 it is a constant 7 or 8 and shoots to a 10 plus at least 5 times a day.
    BForr responded:
    REALLY? Is there not one person out there that may have any advice as to what I can do?
    _swank_ replied to BForr's response:
    I'm pretty sure the only thing you can do is see another doctor. Preferably one that doesn't work at the VA. Either that or your going to have to convince the current one that something is wrong.
    arbob5 replied to BForr's response:
    I agree with _swank_. Get another opinion.
    BForr responded:
    Now my knee has started to spasm almost like a muscle spasm and I go numb from the knee to my foot, the pain is now at a constant 10 . I am still fighting with the VA about it and they are sticking to "There is nothing wrong with your knee" line. I am doing Physical Therapy to no avail, the pain keeps getting worse and I can hardly walk after therapy.

    Helpful Tips

    Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
    For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    59 of 76 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center