Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scheduled for TKR left on February 5, 2013
thebean posted:
I am very apprehensive about this surgery. I have been bone on bone for at least 7 years but pain is minimal but instability in that knee is getting worse and stairs, and getting up from low toilet or chair is getting harder and harder. Some aching now after walking or standing for some time. I just want reassurance that this surgery will make a big difference. Any comments from those who have been there?

Lolubelle responded:
I had my left knee replaced in March 2011. It has never been right since. I always have the feeling that there is a weight in my knee and a band around it which gets tighter the longer I am on it. Have had every test I can but the doctors can find nothing wrong. It is very discouraging....of course everyone is different so just go into the surgery with a positive attitude and hope for the best. Good Luck.

MissChooChoo responded:
I had my TKR on my right knee 6 months ago, and I'm so glad I did. I did all the exercises prescribed before surgery, and built myself up as strong as possible. After surgery, I listened to music with a strong beat and practiced tightening the muscles around my knee, getting my leg 1-inch off the bed, even before they started physical therapy the next day. I studied to be a Music Therapist years ago, and knew that music can be a great distraction. You can't be "into" music and feel pain at the same time, usually. The beat also makes repetitions of any physical activity much more bearable. I kept on doing the PT routines and took my pain meds whenever needed. That's the big secret that PT's want you to know -- that if you take your pain meds, you'll me able to exercise and bear the pain. Without them, you'll not want to exercise and the knee doesn't get strong and limber, and you won't be able to climb stairs, etc. I'm looking forward to getting my left knee done this January. Then, I'll be able to walk the dog again without pain. There is a good article in the Prevention magazine from a couple months back about TKR.

arbob5 replied to MissChooChoo's response:
I totally agree that music helps tremendously during therapy. You really seem to forget the pain while exercising. Give it a try.

JeanneInCt responded:
I'm 4 weeks post-op and since you mentioned that it's been difficult getting off and on the toilet I thought I'd tell you that expect it to be 10 times harder after your surgery. If I knew how difficult that was going to be, I'd have bought a raised toilet seat to attach to our toilet to make it easier getting up and down on it. Insurance won't pay for it, they will only pay for a raised seat if you're having a total hip replacement, but I think it would be money well spent if you invested in this before your surgery.

arbob5 replied to JeanneInCt's response:
You need the raised toilet seat, no doubt about it. I purchased mine 8 years ago when I had my first hip replacement surgery, and 6 months later I had my tkr...I could not have gotten along without that toilet seat for either one of those surgeries, and I had my latest hip replacement July 16, and once again, used that raised toilet seat. Thank God for it. I don't recall that it was very costly, and we paid for it out of pocket. My husband thinks it was about $15.00. That's a guess tho. We probably would still be complaining if it was much more than that, believe me.

Again, get that toilet seat ASAP. If you need it now before your surgery, fine. You will be surprised at how helpful it is.

_swank_ replied to JeanneInCt's response:
Whether or not insurance pays for a toilet seat depends on your insurance company. After my TKR my insurance paid for a bedside commode which could also be put over the toilet to not only raise the seat but also allow you handrails to hold on to. It also tripled as a shower seat. That's another thing you'll need so you can sit down in the shower. The first couple of nights having a bedside commode was a godsend for me. My insurance also paid for a walker which I never used because I prefer crutches.

If your hospital has a class for people that are having joint replacements make sure you go. People tend to focus on pain and rehab and forget that every day things can be very hard after surgery. These classes can help with that and tell you how/where to get medical aides. After your surgery your hospital physical therapists can help with that.

Helpful Tips

tkr
after I had my tkr, I learned to go down stairs backwards hanging on a banister or my husbands arm. This was 13 years ago. it really took ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center