Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post-Surgical Allergic Rash
An_249459 posted:
I had TKR on the left knee in mid November. Over the last two weeks I've developed a rash on the top side of the left leg. It goes from below the incision to top of the thigh. Small blisters, terribly itchy and painful.
At first was worried it was shingles, but got the immunization when I turned 60. I went to Urgent Care and the doctor said it was a non specific allergic reaction and prescribed a cortisone cream. Although it helps with the itching, the rash has not diminished after two days.

I felt terrible when I realized that I had not told the doctor I was allergic to metals when I was younger. I am afraid that this is as a result of an allergy to the new joint. My understanding is that it is stainless with a chrome alloy.

Is there a way to be both tested and treated for the allergy...so that it would not need to be removed....the thought of that makes me extremely scared. It was the first surgery that I've had that necessitated use of pain killers....I have had abdominal surgery, a bone graft and three scopes and never used pain medicine....just ice and lidoderm patches.

If there is anyone with information on how to treat the allergy other than removing the metal, I would welcome your advice.

Thanks kindly

Kimboh responded:
I've had surgery on my olecranon fossu. . Th epost op is driving me crazy. I have to wear a sling, but worse, the skin on my forearm and neck itxhes, and the skin feels "hard". My doctor is extremely busy and I don't know if I'm getting enough attention, not to sound like a wuss.

I have had a history of metal allergies ( jewelry related) but it never occured to me when they asked for "allergies- pre-op" that that might be a problem. My skin feels extremely dry, and i can't stand the Ace bandage. I'm only ten days out of surgery, it hurts like heck, and I'm not suremwhatbquestions I should ask, or what is normal. My skin also feels hard.

Any ideas for post op attention. i'm new to all of this.

Helpful Tips

duct leakage test
This could be everybody's great solution for carrying ladders inside house and risking own life from falling, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center