Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Controling the swelling
Mac502 posted:
I am 7 weeks post op on a total knee replacememnt. I am 6'0" 220lbs. I ride competitve bicycle time trials. I went into my surgery in about as good a condition as possible considering I wasn't able to stand up while riding up hills. All has gone well and I was told I was ahead of schedule. bending to 116 degrees and almost straight. My biggest problem has been controling the swelling. I have therapy 3 x a week and on off days I would continue the workouts on my own. However I pushed it hard 4 days ago and I just can't seem to get the pain/swelling down. Aside from that the swelling seems to be my biggest problem from day one. IS there a time frame for reducing it. I ice often. I do not have to return to work for another 7 weeks which is nice.

arbob5 responded:
I had tkr approximately 7-1/2 years ago, and while I didn't have any swelling to speak of, my ortho surgeon did suggest ice, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off if I did get swelling once I got home. I had in home therapy for three weeks and then outpatient therapy for approximately 6 weeks. I understand that nowadays with the advancements that have been made, it's less therapy. Again tho, while I didn't have any much noticeable swelling, I do remember the doctor saying ice 20 min. on and then 20 min. off on a regular basis. Now that doesn't mean 24 - 7, but as often as necessary.

Hope this helps somewhat, but don't give up. I think eventually the swelling will go down and you'll be much more comfortable. If you're ahead of schedule, kudos to you. That 116 degrees is very good as I recall. Keep us up to date on your progres, ok?

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Hanukkah (sp) etc. etc.

_swank_ responded:
You've already figured out that pushing too hard can make you go backward instead of forward. Give your knee a rest for a few days, rest it, ice it and keep it elevated. Knee replacements can take up to a year to heal. Give it time.

Helpful Tips

postop pain management
Consult with the anethesiologist relative to a pain management clinic who can help. In some cases, Lidoderm patches can be a big help as ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center