Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What comes next?
An_249765 posted:
I am to have hip replacement surgery very soon. What will the care I need when I go home to be? Do not know yet as to what areas I will need help with, or what special equipment may have to buy for recovery. If someone has already went through this recently, please send me some tips as to if I need anothers help and for what and about how long. Thanks.

arbob5 responded:
Well, I've had both hips replaced. The latest one was July 16, 2012. Something you can do before the surgery is get a raised toilet seat (a necessity). Also, you can use your walker (which you will also need) to sit down and stand up from the toilet. Or you can purchase an item that remains on the toilet and is under the raised seat. It has arm supports so you can list yourself. I can't explain it well here, but it is self explanatory when you see the directions.

I had two weeks of in home physical therapy,and after that, I was on my own. I had easy access to the therapists, however, if I needed them. Luckily, I didn't. They were excellent and really got me going on the right path. And they kept in touch by phone after the two weeks.

It's important that you follow the "don 'ts", which your doctor/nurse will explain to you. There is a way to sit down and stand up after surgery. Also, stairs. Just think of this....UP WITH THE GOOD, DOWN WITH THE BAD. That says it all. In other words, when you're going up the stairs, start with the good leg, and when going down stairs, start with the "bad" leg. And you have to have a railing. That is VERY important.

In and out of a car can be easy. Hopefully you have a passenger car seat that you can almost put it down into a prone position. Also, the entire seat should be back as far as possible. This makes it easier to slide in and out without putting a lot of pressure on the hip.

Again, you will be informed of these things, I'm sure. But also remember that some doctors do it differently than others. Listen to what your physician suggests. They know best for your situation.

I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us informed on how you're doing, OK? They have made such great advances in this type of surgery over the years. I had my first one done 8 years ago, and it was way, way different then. Same surgeon too.

God bless.

DannyS replied to arbob5's response:
I Had my Right hip replaced MIS on 12/21/12 with Dr Murray in HHtfd Hospital, In the Hospital for 3 days, Left Hospital with no Pain, Just taking aspirin, Was driving at 2 1/2 weeks No cane or walker after 2 weeks, Miracle surgury, Would say to any one on the fence get it done, best thing I have ever done. I am 54yrs old.

DannyS replied to DannyS's response:
Another thing I would recommend when you start driving I went to Brookstone bought one of there very firm pillows, I put it in a plastic garbage bag and put in on my seat, That way when you get in and out of you gar you slide instead of streatching, Works great

An_249917 responded:
I also am going to seek an orthopedic surgeon about my hip Jan 24 2013. I had my hip reconstructed 13 yrs ago. I had pain 4/5 yrs ago which I was able to control at a pain clinic but I am now ready to do the surgery because the pain hits 10 even with all the all the all the pain meds.I am looking into the Birminham procedure and hope I qualify. I am 49 female.

Helpful Tips

Uploading knee brace for OA Knee
Can anybody help me by giving his experience/opinion about the utility of offloader Knee Braces for Bilateral Medial Compartment ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center