Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
no TKR but torn meniscus
Anon_37818 posted:
I know I am out of line here but don't know where else to go to ask...according to my MRI my meniscus is torn in two places from an accident 5 months ago.. and I have a particually ruptured cyst. My knee has been very painful and the doctor said if I had come in earlier, I could have surgery...but now, I have developed arthritis. I have arthritis anyway, though. He is fitting me with a brace and told me to think for a month on whether I want to have the surgery or not. Up until 3 days ago, the knee has been very painful...now...it is not so bad. He said I would have good days and bad days. Is it too late for the surgery?

_swank_ responded:
It takes more than 5 months for arthritis to develop. You might want to get another opinion or two. A torn meniscus is kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't thing. Surgery will remove the torn bits of meniscus that can reduce inflammation for a while, but it also means you have less cushion in your knee. You'll probably need a TKR at some point but a scope could delay it.

ilovemydoggy replied to _swank_'s response:
Thank you...that clears some things up. I guess I misunderstood him when he was talking about the arthritis. I have it in both knees anyway... and the bad knee is much more painful when I'm on it a lot, driving, crossing my legs, walking, getting up and down... etc...I am leaning toward the surgery but are you saying the arthroscopy could delay the TKR? I am assuming it is a possibility no matter what. Thanks

So after reading and thinking about it, I guess if I have the surgery, more than likely I will be a happy camper...until one day there may be a possibility (my doctor says 20% chance) that I may need the TKR. He said that if I was his wife, sister, daughter, he would probably say do it...I'm an active nearly 62 year old that likes to do things with my grandchildren, cook for the family, shop, hike, etc. I know there could always be problems but just don't know what will give me the best quality of life... surgery or no surgery.

_swank_ replied to ilovemydoggy's response:
Honestly, there is no guarantee that the surgery will lessen the pain. The only thing you know for sure is that your knee will get worse without surgery.

My husband had a similar situation. He has arthritis and a torn meniscus in his knee. Same age as you. His doctor said he could clean up the torn meniscus and he would likely feel better for a while but eventually he will need a TKR. He opted for the scope since it is relatively minor surgery. He does feel better now but still has some bad days. Even with that it feels better than before surgery and his activities are not limited in any way.

Thanks so for you help!

Helpful Tips

TKR surgery and recovery
I had one knee done in March 2007, the other done in February 2009. I am 67 years old. I will tell you that I researched doctors before I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center