Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Surgery Scheduled but...
zsunlight posted:
I'm 69 and preparing for total right knee surgery. Oh, boy. I don't know what to think reading the posts. I only have two months of sick leave and I really will need to get back to work. I am reading about the weeks of pain for most and then the unsteadiness. Since I tripped on uneven pavement going into my job and fractured my shoulder in November, I can't imagine finding that after surgery, I will be unsteady on my feet.

Yikes! I'm beginning to think that the pain I've suffered for years may be something I'll just have to live with. Anything I've overlooked?

arbob5 responded:
You knee pain will only get worse if you don't have the surgery. I know there have been negative responses regarding tkr, but I assure you there are more positives than negatives. When anyone undergoes any kind of surgery, sometimes, unfortunately, the results are not what we expect. But there are many more positives than negatives, believe me.

Almost 8 years ago, when I was 66, I had my right knee replaced and I can only say that from the day after surgery, the pain I had put up with for two years, was GONE, and only the surgical discomfort was there. I will never forget the way I felt when I realized the surgery was a success. Yes, there was recovery and physical therapy, but it was only continuing to be successful from the day of the surgery on.

I feel bad for those who have had a negative experience. But it does happen.

I can only say that go into this surgery with a POSITIVE attitude, and keep that going during your recovery. Don't get down, and by all means, try not to listen to the negative stories. Do whatever your surgeon requests, and take a good attitude regarding your physical therapy. No, it's not easy, but doing what you should do will, 99% of the time, be positive.

Good luck. Keep in touch and remember, we're here for you and can't wait to hear your positive comments about your surgery. God bless.

jeanneinct responded:
I think you're going to be surprised that you'll feel ready to return to work in 2 months. I'm six weeks post op and I'm able to drive or ride in a car comfortably and have stopped using my cane a few days ago. I never really had the unsteadiness but I was using a walker when I came home, then crutches, then the cane. The only scary time and it still is scary is taking my shower every day. I have one of those handles that sticks with suction cups to the shower wall for me to hold onto. Getting in and out is always something I do very slowly and carefully. I sill have swelling and some discomfort but I no longer need the Vicodin and Alleve works to control the pain. I have a long way to go with therapy and I'm just beginning to do some exercises that I couldn't do a week ago like stepping down a half-stair in p.t. This is a big one for me. There's a few things that validated my decision to get this knee done last month, and one thing is that I can stand with my full weight on that one leg and not have any pain and it's straight!
Just remember something here, and it's probably the most important thing for anyone to remember. Your recovery will feel very slow and you may even begin to feel depressed and defeated...BUT this is normal because recovery happens in such tiny increments that it's hardly noticeable. Then you'll reach a point one day when you say 'oh wow, yes it is better than it was!'. Keep in mind it's a very long process. You'll have redness, swelling and pain to some extent for months. Manage your swelling by elevating it and keep ice packs on it. Manage your pain with Vicodin at first for a few weeks then begin weaning off it. The surgery itself is pretty easy and the nurses will make sure you're medicated for pain. The journey really starts the day of your discharge. Reading this forum and contributing to it also helps. Good luck

Helpful Tips

duct leakage test
This could be everybody's great solution for carrying ladders inside house and risking own life from falling, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center